The local police shared some Hallowe’en safety tips with the students in our school district.
- See and be seen. Make sure drivers can see you. Wear reflective clothing or place reflective tape on the front and back of costumes and clothing. Make glow sticks part of your costume and carry a flashlight.
- Are fake swords part of your costume? Make sure they look fake, but remember, some people still may not be able to tell the difference.
- Safety in numbers. Walk in groups and stay together.
- Stay on the outside. Never enter a house and only accept treats at the front door.
- Use crosswalks whenever possible. Visit houses on one side of the street at a time and cross the street only at intersections or at marked crosswalks.
- Save your treats. Wait until you get home before sampling your treats. Though tampering is rare, a responsible adult should check out all treats and throw away any spoiled, unwrapped or suspicious items.