Diet Cola and Regular Cola

In class we conducted an interesting Science experiment with diet cola and regular cola. We had two plastic containers filled with tap water. We placed a can of pop in each of the containers. The diet cola floated and the regular cola sank to the bottom of the container. In class we tried to explain what happened in the experiment by using our critical thinking skills. There are a number of things to consider:

• both containers were filled to the same level and the water was the same temperature
  • each pop can was inspected by the students and there were no holes or weights attached to either pop can
  • both cans of pop contain 355 mL of soda and are the same size and shape

What do you think happened in this experiment? Why did the diet cola float and the regular cola sink? Please feel free to share your ideas and thoughts by leaving a comment.

7 thoughts on “Diet Cola and Regular Cola

1. I think the diet cola is lighter in weight because it has less sugar than the regular cola.

2. Hi Laura,

I like your comment. The diet cola has aspartame and the cola has sugar which may be more dense, causing it to sink. The diet cola may also be more carbonated ( bubbly ), which helps it to float.

3. Hi Ella,

I’m glad you liked the Science experiment. Why do you think the diet cola floats and the regular cola sinks?

4. hey mr.preshaw! Its olivia my brother let me leave a comment. this experiment looks so cool, i will try it!