Learning About the Artist Andy Goldsworthy

Andy Goldsworthy is an artist from Scotland who produces art and sculptures in natural and urban environments. The materials used in his art often includes brightly coloured flowers, icicles, leaves, mud, pinecones, snow, stone, twigs, and thorns. In class we looked at a book and DVD about the artist.

Last week we went outside in the afternoon and in partners the students created their own environmental art by using the same natural materials that Andy Goldsworthy uses in his work. Our school playground area is ideally suited for this art activity because we have trees, bushes, large rocks and a stream. The class was very engaged and excited when working on their projects. At the end we did an Artist’s Walk where the students were given time to show and explain to rest of the class what they had created. Below are some images of their work.

Isabela and Kaelyn

Justin and Matthew

Justin and Matthew

Charlie, Jackson and Vlad

Laura and Veronica

Read 6 comments

1. Hi Mr. Preshaw I really like Veronica’s and my project and I really like the other projects to,they were cool and nice I hope we can do a lot more Andy Goldsworthy.

Laura