Some people say that Saturn is the most beautiful planet in our solar system. The Cassini probe has been orbiting Saturn since 2004. On November 30, 2016 it started a series of orbits that will bring it closer to Saturn’s rings than ever before. Scientists hope to learn more about the rings and some of Saturn’s moons. Please feel free to leave a comment after watching the video.
In the winter many people visit the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut to see the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis. Below is a video from the University of Oslo that does a very good job of explaining what causes this natural light display. In the southern hemisphere the lights are called the Aurora Australis.
The local police shared some Hallowe’en safety tips with the students in our school district.
- See and be seen. Make sure drivers can see you. Wear reflective clothing or place reflective tape on the front and back of costumes and clothing. Make glow sticks part of your costume and carry a flashlight.
- Are fake swords part of your costume? Make sure they look fake, but remember, some people still may not be able to tell the difference.
- Safety in numbers. Walk in groups and stay together.
- Stay on the outside. Never enter a house and only accept treats at the front door.
- Use crosswalks whenever possible. Visit houses on one side of the street at a time and cross the street only at intersections or at marked crosswalks.
- Save your treats. Wait until you get home before sampling your treats. Though tampering is rare, a responsible adult should check out all treats and throw away any spoiled, unwrapped or suspicious items.
This film was shot on April 14, 1906, just four days before the San Francisco earthquake and fire. It was produced by moving picture photographers the Miles brothers: Harry, Herbert, Earle and Joe. Harry J. Miles hand-cranked the Bell & Howell camera which was placed on the front of a streetcar during filming on Market Street. The video shows what life was like over 100 years ago. There is sound for the video as well. Please leave a comment after watching the video.